Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Our First Auction Find

Soon after we moved in to our new home, we realized how expensive it was going to be to buy new furniture and things to decorate. We needed a plan, and fast! One of the benefits of our new home was a free weekly advertisement of local stores, services, auctions, and things for sale. We look forward to Tuesday every week when we come home to find this baby in our mail box. We scour the auction listings for the upcoming weekend. Most of the auctions we had gone to were horrible, nothing more than some hoarder collecting random things (Kim can attest to this!) Then, one Saturday afternoon, we headed to our weekly auction and found this beauty!




Doesn't it have a Ballard Design/Pottery Barn feel? I love it, I had to have it and for $110, it was ours! Just look at the details!






















Now, this is my inspiration from Ballard Designs. I love the wainscoting, wide crown moulding and general coziness of the hutch.



My plan, for our first furniture makeover, is to use a chemical stripper on the hutch, then use my husband's handy-dandy paint sprayer to make a clean finish sans brush strokes. I have chosen Valspar's "Drumskin" for paint. It's a cozy cream color, and I can't wait to see what it looks like on the hutch! I haven't decided whether or not to distress the edges or just leave simple clean lines. What should I do?


Did you know that Target now sells hardware? Cute hardware? I found these drawer pulls and knobs to use for the hutch!
Target


This project will probably be completed this winter, as we are still settling in our new home. But I just wanted to give you a preview of our first project. I'll keep you posted when we start 'er up!









0 comments: